As much as I have enjoyed being back in the kitchen, I breathed a large sigh of relief as the last batch of cookies went in the oven. After 12 days of baking a new recipe every day (and all of the cleaning, photographing, and writing that comes along with it), I am exhausted! It has been a good experience but I can’t lie, at times it has been a challenge. I decided to finish with a simple, traditional shortbread cookie. Although shortbread doesn’t rate highly on my favourites list, others seem to love these classic, buttery morsels, and I’m all about giving the people what they want. Seriously though, I was so tired when I made these that I just wanted the quickest recipe with the least ingredients – ta da!! – shortbread to the rescue!
With only four ingredients; flour, sugar, butter, corn starch, most home cooks have these ingredients in the house so you can throw these together at the last minute if you have some guests coming around and want to serve them some fresh, hot cookies. Plus, these are so easy to make that you could have your kids help with these ones.
Things I’ve learned about baking 12 batches of cookies in 12 days:
- Baking is finicky and difficult.
- I am not patient enough to deal with finicky recipes or making cookies look pretty.
- You go through a LOT of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour when baking 12 batches of cookies.
- Any cookie that is stuffed with candy is a crowd favourite.
- You really can’t go wrong with jam in a cookie. 2 of my favourites were the PB&J Thumbprints and the Raspberry Cream Cheese Pastries.
- Cookies are a good conversation starter.
Now that the 12 Days of Cookies challenge is completed, I’m going to focus on getting ready for my parents upcoming trip. Yes! After almost three years (!!!) apart, my parents will be spending Christmas and New Years (and my birthday!) with us in Vancouver! Can you tell I’m just a wee bit excited?! We have a bunch of Christmas stuff planned for them whilst they are here and we are taking a road trip down to Portland and the Oregon Coast. I. Am.So. Excited!